Changes to MBS most relevant to GPs from 1st November 2018:
1. Changes to office-based spirometry items:
• New #11505 for Office-Based Spirometry for Diagnosis
Item: Measurement of spirometry (diagnosis).
Service: Permanently recorded tracing, performed before and after inhalation of a bronchodilator – to confirm diagnosis of asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or other causes of airflow limitation.
Billing requirement: Each occasion at which 3 or more recordings are made. Applicable only once per patient in any 12 month period.
MBS Fee: $34.95.
• Change to #11506 description to Office-Based Spirometry for Monitoring
Item: Measurement of spirometry (monitoring).
Service: Permanently recorded tracing, performed before and after inhalation of a bronchodilator – to confirm diagnosis of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), assess acute exacerbations of asthma, monitor asthma and COPD, assess other causes of obstructive lung disease or the presence of restrictive lung disease.
Billing requirement: Each occasion at which recordings are made.
MBS Fee: $17.50.
2. GPs directly referring patients for home or laboratory-based sleep studies will need to determine patient’s eligibility by using approved assessment tools:
• Either one of:
• STOP-BANG score≥ 4
• OSA-50 score ≥5, or
• Berlin Questionnaire – high risk
• Epworth Sleepiness Scale score ≥8
3. Removal the following skin items:
4. GP will not be able to request knee MRI for patients ≥50 years of age.
5. For non-VR GPs in MM2-7 regions, items 181, 187, 191, 206 and 183, 188, 202, 212 will have their fees amended.